Customizing your rug padding does not need to be a daunting task. Even though our rug pads arrive ready to use out of the package, oftentimes you will find it necessary to cut your pad to the most optimal size of your area rug. By doing this process, you will have the best fit and avoid certain complications that occur down the road. For example, if your rug pad is too small, your rug can have a drooping effect that can ultimately damage your rug or can result in the area rug’s corners not holding in place and flipping. This hazard can also cause tripping.
Follow our guide below when you need to cut your rug pad, a foolproof manual for all your tailor needs!
Our Company Standards
For accurate sizing, the goal is to allow the rug pad to come as close to the actual size of your area rug border without showing. This gives your rug the ability to provide full coverage of the rug pad, as well as providing additional grip from your rug's edges.
When it comes to choosing your rug pad, it is best to purchase a larger rug pad as you can always easily trim and customize with a sharp pair of kitchen scissors in order to achieve the optimal surface area coverage according to your specific rug size. An example would be, for a 9x12 rug - usually purchasing a 9x12 rug pad is the proper sizing selection.
A Guide To Trimming
All of our rug pads can be cut with a pair of sharp kitchen scissors. The goal is to allow the rug pad to come as close to the actual size of your area rug border without showing. Easily customize any rug pad to the size of your needs. Be sure to follow a few simple steps.
Before installing your new rug pad always be sure your flooring is clean, dry and fully cured!
- Measure your mark: For larger area rugs, it might be helpful to mark out the desired placement location on the floor as a guide (temporary placement of painter’s tape is an easy go-to).
- Lay flat: Using the markings as a guide, lay out your new rug pad and place the area rug on top.
- Trim away excess: Use heavy duty fabric or craft scissors to trim a felt rug pad, paper scissors may work fine to trim thinner rug pads, or natural rubber rug pads. If the rug pad is as close to the outside border of the area rug without showing, no trimming will be necessary. If the rug pad is as close to the inside border, but showing through outside of the area rug borders, trimming will be necessary. Simply lift the area rug edges and trim away excess leaving the rug pad as close to the border as possible. Ideally, the rug pad should not be more than 2 to 3 inches to the inside of the area rug’s outer edge.
Our Rug Pads
- Premium Low Profile: Premium Low Profile is a premium solid surface area coverage - “dual purpose” rug pad. Offering floor defense under any type of area rug on both carpeted as well as hard-surface floors. It is a great choice for area rugs that do not require extra cushion.
- Premium Deluxe Cushion: Premium Deluxe Cushioned is a premium cushioned solid surface area coverage - “dual purpose” rug pad. Offering floor defense under any type of area rug on both carpeted as well as hard-surface floors.
- Super Grip Natural: This high quality cushioned non-slip rug pad is ideal for use over hard-surface floors. Made with high quality natural rubber coating and features superior grip strength to help keep rugs from sliding and slipping.
- Rug Grip Natural: The Rug Grip Natural is a high quality low-profile non-slip rug pad and ideal for use over hard-surface floors. It is made with high quality natural rubber coating and features superior grip strength to help keep rugs from sliding and slipping on hard surfaces.
- Ultra Natural: This premium non-slip rug pad is ideal for use over hard-surface floors. Made with high quality natural rubber coating. Will help to protect your rug and floors with the Ultra Natural rug pad.
- Super Grip: Super Grip is a popular solution for keeping area rugs in place and provides extra cushion on hard surface floors. Made with high quality PVC coating. The open weave allows for air flow and makes vacuuming easier. Fast and easy to install, every step is softer with Super Grip!
- Rug Grip: Our Rug Grip rug pad is a great solution for helping to keep area rugs in place on hard surface floors without breaking the bank. It is made with high quality PVC coating. The tight open weave construction still allows for air flow and makes vacuuming easier. You won’t even feel it under your feet as you walk across your area rug and finally open and close doors without having to worry about dangerous and frustrating bunching or sliding.
- Outdoor: The Outdoor rug pad is the most optimal choice for rug pads on an outdoor surface. Designed with extra cushion, the Outdoor rug pad helps to alleviate bunching and/or slipping and sliding on your patio, deck or tile underneath your outdoor area rug.
Made with superior quality polyester fabric, coated with a high grade vinyl compound specially formulated for the outdoor environment, this rug pad also is designed with an open weave construction for the most effective air flow.
- Ultra: The Ultra rug pad is the most affordable solution for keeping area rugs in place on hard surface floors. It is designed with high quality PVC coating. You won’t even feel it under your feet as you walk across your area rug and finally open and close doors without having to worry about dangerous and frustrating bunching or sliding. Perfectly low profile, it’s made to secure thicker area rugs that don’t need extra cushion.
- Rug On Carpet: The Rug on Carpet rug pad is made with a permanent, self-contained, pressure sensitive dry adhesive that helps lock rugs in place on top of carpet while lying flat. The dry adhesive will not transfer any residue to the rug or carpet when removed.
Why is Sizing So Important?
One Size Does Not Fit All
Being sure of the correct size of your rug pad can help you and your household. Here are a list of reasons why you will want the correct size rug pad:
- Safety: Helps to stop corner rising and/or flipping of your area rug as well as helps to stop slipping of your rug.
- Area Rug & Floor protection: Total surface floor protection from your rug pad will help keep your area rug in place. Shifting area rugs can damage the area rug due stretching of the rug fibers. Repeated shifting can also cause floor damage due to abrasion.
- Preserves your rug: Rug pads help lengthen a rug’s lifespan by protecting delicate fibers from direct contact with the floor and helping to shield the floor from trapped dust that could migrate down through the area rug. A thick, solid surface area coverage rug pad such as the Premium Deluxe Cushioned is an extra layer of support between floors and heavy furniture, as well.
- Noise reduction: Area rugs help make a huge difference in the reduction of sound traveling from room to room. With the appropriate sizing and of rug pad (specifically denser felt ones) like our Premium Maximum Cushion, the additional layer will absorb the sound of stomping feet or a thumping bassline. Apartment dwellers are big proponents of the benefits of adding rug pads to minimize noise.
Always defer to the flooring manufacturer for rug pad material type compatibility. This information can typically be found in their use/care/warranty manuals or on their website.
Our phone lines are open: (615) 712-8774 - We are happy to help and answer any of your questions in order to guide you to the best rug pad for your floors.
All rug pad products by Rugpads.com are proudly manufactured in the United States of America. We guarantee that our products will remain functional and stable for a full 10-year period with proper use, care, and maintenance.